Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 25 May 2024

What a turnover!

 Today, as Lawrence was back, and we had 4 players, Phil, Rhoderick, Lawrence and myself, we decided to have another AWI game.

Things didn't go to plan from the start! - I was George Washington and had Rhod in his second game as my left wing commander. Phil was General Cornwallis, and had Lawrence as usual being Wilhelm Reichsfreiherr von Innhausen und Knyphausen commanding the Hessians.

Phil rolled for initiative and beat my die rolls convincingly, the advantage of that is I got the right side of the table in this picture, and command of the hills.

The downside was the British got to deploy in both flank sectors, as you can see.

Phil was on the British right with the Grenadiers and Light Infantry, supported by the 17th Light Dragoons and a brigade of normal Infantry on their left.
The British left had the Hessians, Jägers to the left.
Rhoderick on our left had The Marylanders supported by 2nd Canadians, 2nd Continental Light Dragoons and some light infantry.
I took the centre and right, New Jersey Continentals in the centre, and the Virginians on the right supported by Light Infantry and Militia.
I had Washington on the hill near Rhod's position.
The British moved within range of my Artillery...
...I only disordered some Fusiliers.
My Infantry advanced slowly, but I was unable to get my Light Infantry out to face the Feldjägers.
The Feldjägers were advancing past my flank, unopposed.
Rhod managed to get his Marylanders on the hill before the British arrived...he wheeled his second line to try and extend the line as it was being threatened by the British Lights.
Rhod also got his Lights into the wood on our left.
The Grenadiers arrived and got a good volley into the Marylanders.
They held, though their return fire was less effective.
The rest of the British infantry advanced steadily into my centre.
My Artillery was unsuited to deal with the Feldjägers, who were flanking my Virginians.
The British attack on the hill stalled, as they failed to get their lines back in good order.
Rhoderick got his lights deployed tidily!
Unfortunately, the second line of Marylanders refused to advance, even Washington tried, but was rebuffed. The front line had to bend back to prevent the British Light Infantry from charging them in the flank!
My New Jerseys closed, firing at a gun battery deploying to their front, but my fire was ineffective!
My Light Infantry finally moved up, just in time.
The 1st and 5th Maryland now threw back the British attacking them!...
...but Phil's Grenadiers forged up the hill and fired a crashing volley which caused the two regiments there to Rout! (Rhod needed anything but a '1' to survive!) and they streamed back disordering the Delawares and 6th Maryland behind.
My New Jerseys marched forward, received a volley from the 42nd Highlanders and the 5th Foot, and retreated disgracefully, our left and centre were in a shambles!...
...The British right was set to roll up our line...
...and I was not in a position to help!

Obviously, the situation on our left and centre was only going to get worse, so I had Washington signal the retreat. A real disaster! - never mind, we live to fight another day.

We had a day of dreadful dice at critical moments, and Phil rolled...like Phil does!
At least he rolled one '1' where his regiments got driven off the hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment