Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 2 December 2023

Evening patrol

 Today, unsure as to the number of players we had coming, we decided to do |Wings of Glory WW1 again, always a favourite of ours.

As usual, we took the Allies against the Central Powers (run by my solo rules, of course)

Our enemy, 3 Fokker DV's and An Albatros DVa...

...deployed in line abreast.
Opposite them we had 3 Camels, run by Roderick, his son Aloysius, and Lawrence. Phil had a Sopwith Snipe, and I had my favourite Nieuport 17.
We closed, already my Nieuport was getting left behind!
Lawrence's Camel was taking his usual wide outflank!
There was some confusion between two Fokkers as they crossed in front of each other!
Phil and me combined fire against the Yellow plane with good effect, Roderick and 
Aloysius engaged on the far side of the table, with mixed results!
Lawrence's outflank got a good hit on the pink tailed Fokker.
Aloysius and I 'Immelmanned', he scored heavily on a Fokker, my fire was ineffective.
We ploughed through and Lawerence's Camel hit the White Fokker (Göring), while my guns again did nothing!
On the far side, Roderick got hit by the dreaded 'Bang' card, while a Fokker fell to Aloysius! - not bad for his first game!
Phil was unlucky, he went nose to nose with 'Pink Tail' and couldn't shoot back as a Camel was in the way!
Aloysius now wrestled with the Yellow Fokker, fortunately the Albatros was badly out of position.
Phil was rounding on Göring.
The wayward Albatros was turning to rejoin the fight!
Lawrence and I were left behind by the Yellow Fokker making a sudden turn.
The Albatros was making heavy weather trying to rejoin the fight!
Phil and Aloysius were being split up by the milling Fokkers.
Lawrence and I ignored the approaching Albatros to help.
Phil was getting chased by the Yellow Fokker, and was fairly lucky not to get more than minor damage.
He Immelmanned and fired back, but his guns jammed!
Lawrence and I returned.
Lawrence could shoot as badly as I!!!
We all turned into one big Fur-ball, all fired, and all missed!
It got so congested we replaced planes with their bases for a turn!!!
The Fokkers seemed to be getting the upper hand for a couple of turns.
Göring caught me for 3 damage, I was getting stuck between him and the Yellow Fokker!
Laurence tried to help, and did a lot of damage, but his guns jammed! 
No matter, the Fokker was down in flames!
Aloysius got a good shot on Pink Tail, I missed as ever, and I took 3 more damage for my trouble!
I evaded Pink Tail...
...and was soon face to face with the Albatros, which had been chasing the moving dogfight.
Pink Tail had Immelmanned and caught me between him and the Albatros. I tried to evade but was too slow, but I was lucky!
Escaping, I got a deflection shot on Göring, but just jammed my guns!
Aloysius was lucky again, catching the Albatros unawares!
We were then separated just as suddenly as we had joined,
Aloysius was chasing Pink Tail, having guessed the way he would turn.
Pink Tail evaded with a sharp turn.
Phil, with Lawrence in support, chased the Albatros.
Both Immelmanned and now the Albatros had the advantage, though Lawrence was in a good position to help!
Lawrence crossed bases with the Albatros, but couldn't save Phil from heavy damage.
Unable to turn left, I had to turn to face Göring, but took some damage, still, I had time to clear my guns!
My next sharp turn brought me into a good shooting position on the Albatros, and I actually hit it!
Unfortunately, Phil's evasive turn blocked any further help I could give him!
I stayed on the Albatros' tail though.
On the far side, the nippy Snipe caught Pink Tail...
...It had a lot of damage already so spiraled to the earth. 

With half of their force gone, Göring and the Albatros made their way home to safety. Another great day for the RFC/RAF!


2 comments: