Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 9 September 2023

The battle without dice!

 Today, with Phil off seeing a show, it was just Lawrence and myself left to play our AWI game, trying my virtual D6 cards.

As expected, I lost the initiative and had to deploy first, at least I got the choice of side to deploy in!

The British deployed with all their light infantry before a large wood in the centre of the table.

On either side they had a double line of Infantry.
My Virginians held my right, supported by a heavy battery and Sheldon's horse.
Next to them I had my Marylanders and Delawares.
New Jersey held the left, supported by a second line of Militia.
I supported them with some artillery and riflemen.
Unfortunately my brigadiers were a mixed bunch, I managed do dispose of an Indecisive Incompetent, but had to take a Brave Incompetent...
...and an Indecisive, though Competent one!
On the British side, the Hessians had an Average Competent brigadier...
...and a Brave Competent!,no Turkeys whatever!
The layout at game start, The British were able to deploy in the left side edge of the table, so extended beyond my line.
The card D6 in action the British left wing rolled a 4 on a D4 (he is Competent so that went up to a 5), but still 'rolled' 2 1s, so his 17th Light Dragoons refused to move!
The British right did better.
Despite having the best Brigadier on the table, only one Light Bob unit got moving.
The Hessians advanced.
Lord Howe had got the second British Light Infantry unit moving and they advanced through the wood.
The British right managed to get a few regiments advancing.
In response, my left only got some riflemen moving to try and seize the steep hill on their left.
In the centre I only got 3 regiments moving so had them seize the hill to their front before the British arrived.
On my right, once again, I only got my Riflemen advancing.
...and the 2nd Light Dragoons!
Just in time! The 17the Light Dragoons got an Advance order.
They quickly outpaced the plodding Hessians.
The British Light Infantry cleared the edge of the wood.
My men on the hill had their work cut out as they faced Grenadiers and line infantry who outflanked their line!
The British right marched onto the steep hill.
My centre where I had the Incompetent general failed to send up troops to support my men on the hill, even George Washington failed to get them going!
The British attack began, the Grenadiers did well!
Half of one regiment fell!
They 'rolled' high on their morale, and held! 
My return fire was less effective.
My artillery now began to shoot...
One of the guns supporting the British infantry was destroyed!
My riflemen were skirmishing with the British attacking the steep hill.
On my right, the riflemen were at extreme range and had no effect.
To support my cavalry, and to extend my line, I turned 2 Virginia regiments to march out, being badly drilled they couldn't wheel or move rapidly, but it was a risk I felt I would have to take!
My Light Dragoons were formed up but not yet in good order.
My Riflemen on the steep hill were keeping the British occupied!
My brave men on the hill got  good volley into their attackers.
Two regiments fell back in disorder, disrupting the regiments behind!
Unfortunately, a series of events occurred which messed up my right!
The Heavy battery failed to hit the British Dragoons 3 times, so they were free to charge the battery, whose crew abandoned their guns, then the charging British were just able to hit my Virginians in column!
In the centre, the British lights were skirmishing ineffectively with my regiments.
The Hessians drove my Riflemen back.
On their right, their regiments began to make progress against my Riflemen.
My men on the hill, STILL unsupported by that nincompoop in the centre, were still holding off the Grenadiers!
But even though I had the advantage in the melee, again the Light Cavalry won. I got a '1' on my morale check, and my men Routed!
With their loss and faced by Hessian Grenadiers my right became untenable and I signalled the retreat. Better to save my army than fight and lose badly!
Next time, I intend to do a post Valley Forge army, so we shall see if that is any better!

Fun game though, even if I did lose!

No comments:

Post a Comment