Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 15 April 2023

Maybe this time?

 Today, we had another American Revolution game at the club as Andy was with us again for the last time till probably June! - and he likes his AWI!

Its surely time for an American victory, isn't it, so lets see how today's game went!

Amazingly, My Washington got Initiative again, though it rather favoured the Brits, as they got to choose which side to deploy on.

Andy played the Hessians, and Phil the British, as Lawrence and Phillip were off playing 'Lion Rampant' on another table.

The battlefield for today, I keep rolling for a farmhouse!!!!

I deployed my Virginia regiments, so badly mauled last game, on the left behind a large wood, they were supported by Militia...and the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons.
In the centre, I had my New Jersey Continentals, again supported by Militia.
My right was strong, with 3 lines of Continentals.
Andy's Hessians deployed in a long line, with 4 Battalions ready to extend his line.
In their centre, the Guards and Grenadiers made a strong first line, supported by ordinary regiments of foot.
On their right, the vaunted British Light Infantry, supported by the 42nd and 71st Highlanders and the 17th Light Dragoons.
I started, but only got 2 regiments of Virginians moving, I had intended for these to outflank the wood, but had to push them forward instead to counter the British lights. 
My centre had a 'Forlorn Hope' of a single regiment of Riflemen, nothing else advanced!
My right got a unit of Light Infantry going forward, but nothing else! - What a dreadful first turn!
The Hessians had no such problem, they were moving in no time!, the British too got several units moving.
The second turn, I got my main body of Virginians moving as well as my Light Dragoons.
My Riflemen began skirmishing at long range with the British Lights who had beaten me to the farm.
On the other wing I tried to get 'the bounce' on the Hessian Feldjägers, but they opened fire effectively at long range...
...my Light Infantry panicked and fled!, what heroes!
I was still trying to get my 3rd line troops to extend my right wing, but their slow manoeuvering was making things difficult! My Heavy gun battery was shooting, but not doing any damage on the advancing nine-pins, sorry,- Hessians!
At the farm the British Light Infantry charged my Riflemen, who surprisingly held their ground!...
...and to everyone's surprise, soundly beat the British!
The Riflemen were so shocked they didn't pursue!
On the other wing, my Light Dragoons nearly caught the British lights still manoeuvering, but they wisely rallied back into good order.
My Virginians began to enter the wood.
In the centre, my New Jersey and Maryland troops advanced.
That 3rd line was still making heavy progress.
My New Jerseys shot the crew of the guns supporting the Guards.
But the volley from my Continentals was high and caused virtually no damage!
The British elites stepped forward and delivered a crushing volley at short range!
2 regiments routed, I am not surprised!, The Marylanders gun destroyed the gun supporting the Grenadiers, I am not known as the 'Artillery Sniper' within our little group for nothing!
Finally, the British and American Light Dragoons clashed!
My men fought well but were outclassed!
The British pursued my surviving Dragoons - sweeping away some of my Riflemen en route.
My centre was looking vulnerable, but the New jerseys facing the guards were holding their ground well.
Andy's advance was slowed by his own Feldjägers!
He finally marched them off to the flank, leaving his Grenadiers free to attack.
In the centre, those magnificent riflemen shot the crew off a third British gun!
How long could my brave Continentals stand against the Guards?
The British Grenadiers pushed onto their flank. I was happy that my 2 broken regiments managed to rally in my rear, though they were too shot up to do much.
The Hessians advanced and fired, causing casualties along my front line, who consequently did not fire back effectively.
In the centre the brave New Jersey Continentals were finally wiped out.
On my left the Virginians were getting nowhere, as the Scottish out-maneuvered them.
My centre now had only shattered regiments, and Militia.
My right was losing against the Hessians.

There was nothing for it but to cede the day again, I had needed luck, but Phil got it where it mattered again!...I do hold my hands up though, I put my powerful Virginians on the left behind a wood, instead of reinforcing my centre against the British Guards and Grenadiers.

The dice gods laugh at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment