Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 8 April 2023

America back on the Attack!

 Today, our friend Andy McMaster joined us for an American Revolution game, he has played British Grenadier with us before, but it was his first time using my rules.

Andy does our website, and if you want to see his work - and my rules, please go to this LINK or to this for the 7YW, and AWI rules.


We diced for which side had the initiative, and for a second time it was the Rebels who got it!

Andy and Lawrence decided to set up on the left of this picture.

Andy put a largely Scottish brigade on his right.
In his centre a strong double line led by the British Grenadiers and the Guards.
Lawrence had his usual Hessian wing, he had his FeldJägers set to storm the steep hill!!!
Phil, for once joining the Rebel cause, had my Virginians on the right,  Marylanders and New Jerseymen in the centre.
I commanded the left, with a lot of Militia in the second line, I had the Maryland regiments leading. Some of my Militia had to start in the edge of a wood!
The Patriot army in all its glory!
The battle started as Andy's medium battery opened up.
...He disordered my Light battery which was moving on the low hill.
The pre 1778 Americans are slow maneuvering - and it showed!
Phil had some command problems so didn't get off to a fast start.
I had George Washington go to the 2nd Light Dragoons...
The British centre began its inexorable advance!
My left wing was finally getting into position to outflank the Scots!
Phil took the 2 Virginia from his second line and sent them off to support his light infantry.
He was joined by the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons which Gen. Washington had dispatched to support him.
I had hoped to line up my Riflemen on the nearside farm fence, but the second British light battalion charged me and my men Routed in short order!
Andy was handling the British Lights very aggressively, I tried to harass them with my gun with no effect!
On our right, the Hessians were advancing slowly but their Jägers took the hill unopposed.
In the centre, my 2nd Canadians were disordered by the fire from those pesky Light Infantry!
My light gun was disordered too by the British gun...again!
Phil began skirmishing, sending his Light Infantry against the Jägers.
My Militia and 2 regiments of Continentals finally got to the table edge.
My State Regiments were doing better slowly wheeling to support the isolated gun!
My Infantry drove the British Lights back to the farm, but my German Battalion and the 2nd Canadians were facing the British Guards!
Phil was advancing his brigades, and took command of the Light Dragoons I had sent him.
Supported by the Virginians, Phil's light infantry began enveloping the Jägers.
I advanced on the Lights at the farm withholding my fire, to hopefully shoot them at short range.
The British Guards fired on my Continentals, but we held.
Amazingly, Andy attempted a charge on my State Troops!
In the centre, though outnumbered, the British Grenadiers attacked!
Andy had advanced to get his Medium battery to a more effective range, but my Light gun destroyed them as they advanced!
The Guards tried to charge the Continental line, but took heavy casualties as the Americans held firm!
They made contact nonetheless, but the close combat resulting was indecisive!
My State troops stopped the Light Infantry with an effective volley.
The British Grenadiers were shredded by the greater number of Continentals! (and some great dice!)
The Jägers were enveloped by American lights...
They Routed, not surprisingly!
The few remaining British Grenadiers dished out equally devastating fire on their tormentors!
As Phil's Virginia regiments advanced, it left a route for the Light Dragoons to charge! The British gunners ran, abandoning their guns!
The Guards were making heavy weather of beating my Continentals.
The Light infantry from the farm were shooting down my State troops!
On the far side, the Hessians volleyed at the victorious Light Dragoons.
Smarting, the Dragoons fell back.
My State troops finally got a good volley against the British Light Infantry...
...the survivors broke and ran!
My other Continentals fell back under fire from the other British light infantry.
The British Grenadiers were down to 1 stand! - but still held!
Phil pushed the Virginians against the Hessian line...
...but the return volley was crushing - Lawrence threw 3 '6's in a row!
Phil threw a 2 for morale, and my Virginians, for the first time in all our games, Routed!
Our line was ok on my flank, though the Guards were through to my militia line, disordered by my routing Germans and Canadians...
...But Phil had a big hole in his line.
It was the time to pull out, we had been close to victory until the guards broke my Germans and Canadians and 3 of the 5 Virginia regiments! - ah well, better luck next time!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the game. Really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy, I hope you get down to our club again soon!

      Delete