Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 25 March 2023

A serious case of Deja Vu!

 Today we had a rematch after last week, when we didn't get finished. The terrain was rather different but the armies remained the same. I had Mick as sub commander against the usual Brits Phil and Lawrence.

As usual, the British got the initiative, and won enough to be able to deploy on one flank. Ominously, the Americans got a couple of uninspiring Brigadiers where the British had good ones!

NB: We lost our Church hall venue today and played in the Church sanctuary, so it was dark which made taking pictures...interesting!

The deployment and terrain for today's game.

My left wing, I had militia at the bottom of the hill hoping to get them on the hill before the Hessians opposite got it!
In the centre, in front of Washington, my veteran Virginians ready to take on all comers!
Mick chose to take my right wing, all Continentals, but seriously outnumbered.
Opposite Mick, the cream of the British army, Grenadiers, Guards and the Light Infantry, flanked by the Scots.
Lawrence had his usual Hessians.
Lawrence had better generals and luck with the dice, and got his men advancing this week.
Phil only got his Light Infantry advancing...
...and his entire centre!!!
The Light infantry had messed up Phillip's men on the steep hill last week
My Heavy gun, after doing nothing last week got into range...
...and disordered Lawrence's gun!
My Light infantry (and the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons!)- got forward onto the hill, but the Militia failed to move beyond a crawl!
The Hessians reached the hill, my lights had nothing to stop them.
Mick had his light infantry stuck in front of his Continentals, not a good position.
I had foreseen the likely failure of this wing seeing what was facing it, Mick was hoping to hold the enemy while my left wing attacked.
The two sides reached the farmhouse at about the same time, neither was willing to try to cross the fences into the farmyard!
My Virginians took out a gun on the British flank (I imagined some ammo went up!)
The centre infantry regrouped.
On Mick's wing things were getting hairy a couple of bad die rolls saw his Light infantry retreat from the British lights.
The regular British also engaged Mick's Marylanders...
...The Marylanders return fire shredded a regiment!
The British including the 42nd retreated in disorder!
Yay!
The Hessian guns fired into my Virginians' flank, causing some damage!
My Virginians, undeterred,  got a good volley on the Hessian Grenadiers.
My Heavy gun soon silenced the hessian artillery!
The British Light Infantry crushed the riflemen they met, but the Riflemen caused some loss to the British side too, brave men!
As expected, the Hessians drove off my light infantry and took the hill.
It soon looked as though my Militia, with Continental support, would hold their own against them... I didn't get a good pic, but my Light Dragoons routed the Hessian FeldJagers and chased them off table too!
The british Light Infantry pursued...AGAIN...into the Continentals, while the other unit attacked Mick's guns, which failed to stop them.
Another of Mick's light infantry units routed.
The British in the centre were holding my Virginians, who were, as usual putting up a great fight!
The Light Infantry attacked the gun.
...and killed the crew.
Mick threw a series of 1s and 2s against Phil's 4s, 5s and 6s, so the British Light Infantry again routed the Continentals!!!!
Things were looking ropey on our right.
The second line troops were forced to retreat as the front line Routed.
Game over!
Once again, Phil's amazing die rolling against Mick's appalling ones made a wing collapse!

Phil has said he would like to join the Rebellion next game, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out!!!!

Even getting trounced again was fun though, so we all kind of won today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment