Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 10 December 2022

My first command...

 This week, Lawrence chose a WW2 skirmish game (using my rules) involving his US infantry trying to seize a farmhouse in France.

I randomly got command, which meant I got command of a squad plus the command group and a detached 30 Cal from Company.

IPhil, in his first game of this, I put in support of Lawrence's squad, with instructions to sweep left round the farmhouse and kind of 'Sneak in'. We had the possible support of 2 M-10 Tank Destroyers, as we had no bazooka team.

The battlefield, we would arrive on the right top corner woods.

Our target, a farmhouse being used as a German HQ, according to intelligence.
I assumed the road would be covered, so a wide sweep through the most covered part of the table (the stone walled fields) seemed expeditious.
Lawrence led his squad through the woods, I had suggested his men might sprint from the wood edge to the hedges beyond.
They would wait for IPhil's men to come into their rear before doing that though.
True to my orders, IPhil's men arrived and entered the wood...
...then they had a change of mind and started going right towards the road!
Lawrence's men didn't wait, and jogged across the open ground without getting spotted.
One big Portal Marker was dislodged, but still able to see Lawrence's first fire team.
A small group of German infantry appeared...but didn't see Lawrence's men.
I had appeared at last, and sent my squad after Lawrence, I had decided IPhil was so out of position he might as well just watch the flank. I dropped off the 30 Cal to support him...and cover the road.
Lawrence moved cautiously along the track towards the stone walled fields...
...and there waiting for him was a Hetzer!
As they decided what to do, the German infantry had spotted one of Lawrence's men, and decided to run over and take a prisoner!
They were surprised to find a full section but carried on their assault, the first round of battle went to the big American!
The rest of Lawrence's men engaged the Germans behind.
The Yank wounded the German he was fighting.
Unfortunately, all the activity brought a StuG into the arena, though it didn't spot anyone.
Look in the top right of this picture, a Panzerjager team was filtering through the woods, unseen.
An M-10 finally arrived on our side!
The US infantry captured one and killed the others in the German fire team.
The M-10 didn't spot the Hetzer, but did spot the Panzerjager team, and engaged it with the 50 Cal.
Although 2 Panzerfausters were suppressed, the Panzerschreck wasn't! 
The StuG too spotted Lawrence's forward fire team and shredded it with a well aimed 75mm round!

With that, I realized the jig was up, and ordered a rapid retreat!

A win for the solo system!

I will have to make up a Bazooka team for Lawrence to use before next game!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice battle report! Tough luck for the TD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! - Indeed, the TD was unlucky to (randomly) appear on that track, and the Germans odd deployment of a Panzerjager team turned out to be inspired!!!

      Delete