Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday, 10 October 2026

Am I Spartacus?

 Yes, today we were doing a Midgard game refighting the Third Servile War between Spartacus and the Roman Republic, or at least a battle from it!

As normal, we diced to see who was a slave, or a citizen! Phil got to be Spartacus, and I got the Tony Curtis character!

Lawrence got to be Marcus Licinius Crassus and Tony Quintus Marcius Rufus!

The table at setup, we former Slaves set up on the left here, the defending Romans wanted to deny us the wood.

Phil took 3 units of Shepherds with slings, the former Gladiators with captured Roman arms, some slaves similarly equipped, and a couple of Horde units of normal ex Slaves.
The centre was more Slaves, the front rank units with Armour.
My right wing had more Slaves, a unit of Shepherds and the Cavalry unit.
Facing Phil (Spartacus) the Romans had their Gallic and Spanish Cavalry, together with some Spanish Light Cavalry.
The Roman centre were Legionarii, of course.
Crassus had the reserve cohorts under his command also.
Lawrence had his left guarded by auxiliary Light Infantry and archers. 
I began by sending my Slingers into the rough ground, supported by my Cavalry.
I had agreed with Phil I would hold back, to allow his wing to make progress.
His Light Infantry (Yeh, Tony had used some Javelins as Slingers!!!) were bore down on by the Romans' cavalry.
The Roman attack looked dangerous!
Tony's Spanish Horse raced forward, causing some Slingers to evade, but the Spanish hit the Faux Slingers, who failed to escape.
The Spanish easily dispatched the 'Slingers'. 
On my wing, my Slingers had shot at the Archers, but failed to damage them, and the Archers then closed and shot up my Shepherds!
Tony tried to send his Light Cavalry to support his centre (!)
Phil had his Shepherds move behind the Gladiators, who charged the Spanish Cavalry.
Both units got in and made short work of the Iberians.
I had decided to mess with the Roman left and charged my shot up Slingers in, I did well getting 2 out of 3 dice as hits!
However, although I had damaged the Archers, I failed to wound their Hero, and my men were obliterated!
I retreated my Cavalry to avoid getting overwhelmed.
On the left, the Gallic Cavalry was surrounded.
The Slaves were leery of charging the Legions.

I had finally got my Slaves and Horde out to face the auxiliary Infantry, to help my Cavalry.
The Roman light cavalry found they had Shepherds behind them, and were driven into their legions...
...and broke!
The Roman Legionarii charged forward.
The Slaves won one and lost one, better than expected!
Spartacus charged the Gallic Cavalry.
I had my right wing fairly safe, for now.
My Slaves were holding back, as planned, keeping half the Legions occupied.
On the left centre, Phil had charged in, and won both the battles.
He had to send Shepherds onto the Gallic flank, as they were putting up a good fight against Spartacus!
That did the trick!
Phil lost a Gladiator unit near his wing...
...but beat a Legionary unit further along...
...then another in the centre.
With their collapse on their right and centre, Lawrence pushed forwards.
Crassus was beating a Slave unit, no matter the units I had put up in support!
On Phil's wing, he was beginning to swing round onto the Roman centre.
Rufus, the Roman general there was last seen fighting in a melee with ex Gladiators...
Lawrence's light infantry were pelting my wing with missiles!
Spartacus led a charge by 2 Slave units and broke a Legionarii unit when it couldn't retreat!
Fortunately, I had got all the supporting units away before Crassus' unit had destroyed my armed Slaves.
I used a 'With Me' to charge my wing into contact, the Romans bravely stood (they couldn't have evaded anyhow!). The Archers broke!

Spartacus was called out for single combat by a Roman...he stood for 2 rounds before Spartacus prevailed!
My wing's Slaves charged and destroyed a Legionary unit (Poor Lawrence only got 1 hit on me after support rolls)
My Slaves had killed the first Auxiliary unit.
My Horde was minced by the other though!
In the centre, I broke yet another Legionary unit!
The victorious Auxiliaries now closed on my Cavalry.
Phil's wing was running out of targets!
They were getting round the flank of the rest of the Legions though.

My Tony Curtis supported one of my Slave units as it smashed another Legionary unit!
My cavalry had been unable to charge, so got hit by the Auxiliary unit, this time MY dice failed, but the Cavalry hung on, just.
At the end of turn 6, all seemed strangely quiet...
We totted up the Rep, the Romans were -7, the Slaves +14.
An overview at the end...
The Rebellion continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment