Today we followed Dio Cassius' account of the Roman crossing of the Medway, where it says:
'The
barbarians thought that the Romans would not be able to cross it without a
bridge, and consequently bivouacked in rather careless fashion on the opposite
bank; but he [Plautius] sent across a detachment of Germans, who were
accustomed to swim easily in full armour across the most turbulent streams.
These fell unexpectedly upon the enemy, but instead of shooting at any of the
men they confined themselves to wounding the horses that drew their chariots;
and in the confusion that followed not even the enemy's mounted warriors could
save themselves.
Plautius
thereupon sent across Flavius Vespasian also (the man who afterwards became
emperor) and his brother Sabinus, who was acting as his lieutenant. So they,
too, got across the river in some way and killed many of the foe, taking them
by surprise.
The
survivors, however, did not take to flight, but on the next day joined issue
with them again. The struggle was indecisive until Gnaeus Hosidius Geta, after
narrowly missing being captured, finally managed to defeat the barbarians so
soundly that he received the ornamenta triumphalia, though he had
not been consul.
Thence
the Britons retired to the river Thames at a point near where it empties into
the ocean and at flood-tide forms a lake. This they easily crossed because they
knew where the firm ground and the easy passages in this region were to be
found; but the Romans in attempting to follow them were not so successful.
However, the Germans swam across again and some others got over by a bridge a
little way up-stream, after which they assailed the barbarians from several
sides at once and cut down many of them. In pursuing the remainder
incautiously, they got into swamps from which it was difficult to make their
way out, and so lost a number of men.'
So, following this, I set up a terrain I thought might be representative of the west bank of the Medway in 43AD, we only had Lawrence, Tony and myself and it randomised that Lawrence had Tony and the Britons, and I took the Romans. We were the attackers, and this would have consequences.
The terrain from the Roman side, the marshes on the left represent the shore of the Medway.
(Sorry a couple of pics are blurry, the light messed up my auto focus I think!)
On my left, Equites Alares, Auxilia Sagitarii and Auxilia.
In the centre I had Scorpion bolt throwers and 3 units of Legionarii.
My right had 2 units of Auxilia, and 2 of Legionarii, supported by more Equites and the legionary slingers. I put Aulus Plautius - my C-in C here.
Facing Plautius, Tony had 2 units of slingers and several warbands.
In the centre, more Warbands, their chariots and cavalry was kept behind the centre.
The British right with 2 units of light javelinmen.
The numerical difference is obvious!!!
Now, Lawrence sprang his trap, and moved his 2 units of Chariots in front of his line!, with Caratacus, his C-in-C.
Both sides moved toward each other, my left was depending on the Archers and Cavalry to protect my legions' left
Lawrence raced his chariots forward.
On my right, I sent my Auxilia forward to pin Tony's infantry.
My slingers moved quickly to contest the wood.
I had foreseen the chariot heading for my artillery, but both they and an auxilia unit's javelins failed to stop or injure the Brits.
On my left, I had decided to form a line.
The British Chariots rolled well against my Artillery and they were destroyed - taking NO damage again!
Lawrence sent his Javelins to outflank my left, as expected.
I left Sabinus in contact, as I had a legionary unit to come to the rescue.
I had Vespasian charge the 2nd Augusta into the Chariots, sadly too late to rescue Sabinus as he failed his 'Risk to Hero' - and the reroll!!!
Vespasian also took damage, but passed his reroll, but this was eating into my Rep!!! The Legion destroyed the Chariots.
I had to turn to flank on my left as they needed to keep those Javelinmen occupied, my archers did nothing to the Britons, even with their Heroes Mighty deed!
Caratacus joined the second Chariot unit and his Javelins damaged the legionnaires!
The British slingers were swarming round my slingers.
Neither side hit anything, though there were a lot of worried squirrels...
I withdrew my slingers and put them on the flank of the flanking unit, finally I damaged a unit which fled out of the wood!
In the centre, the British were massing!
They attacked on my left, but my Auxilia had the best of the fights.
First one warband broke...
...then the other! - I wanted to push it back into the supporting unit too!!! (sigh!)
Sadly, the second unit of British slingers damaged mine and sent them packing.
Lawrence charged Caratacus again with the remaining chariots, and minced II Augusta! - I did nothing!!!
On my right, a sent my Equites forward but the slingers evaded. My Slingers tried to drive them off table but failed, next turn!!! (sigh again!)
My victorious Auxilia tried to help on the left and centre.
The British javelinmen had emerged from the marshes, but failed to damage my cavalry, so I had to commit them - the British evaded into the marsh though.
In the centre, II Augusta broke! still no damage to these chariots though.
This left the British facing a hole in my line!
A British warband broke my Auxilia.
My Equites were hit by a warband, and were beaten badly!
My Auxilia Sagittari held against another warband attack, but were damaged themselves.
The British rushed to help their unit in the marsh, but my Equites destroyed them.
However, my pot was empty, Lawrence had got a lot of C-in-C charges in where I had difficulty, though I should have done better!
My right and centre were very ropey, my Eqites were almost destroyed, and Lawrence had charged the flank of another Legionary unit while hitting them at the front too, Impressive co-ordination!
Fun game, but I am not Aulus Plautius for sure!!!
Sorry, Claudius!
No comments:
Post a Comment