Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 25 February 2023

On the Attack!

 Today we were going to do Colonial skirmish, but Phillip couldn't make it and Mick has Covid (!)

So...it was just the old 3 of Lawrence, Phil and me, so we got my American Revolution (AWI) figures out again for another game!

Amazingly, I got the Initiative! With all the odds against it I managed to roll a 6 and Phil (AKA Lord Howe) a 1! - I even got to deploy in one of the flank sectors!!!

Would this bode well for me?

The British deployed in multiple lines...Phil had the bulk of the British on their right.

Lawrence had 2 Brigades of Hessians and a British one.
I deployed into the right flank.
I tried another of Washington's stratagems, placing his Militia behind woods etc where they would be safe and wouldn't upset his plans! on their right were my dependable N.Carolinas.
In my centre, I had my New Jersey Continentals.
On my right I had my Virginians who had covered themselves in glory last game!
I started the game badly, 3 of my brigades on the left and centre refused to move! - Only on the right the Virginians, 2nd Continental light dragoons, and some irregular light infantry advanced.
All the left could do was detach a few riflemen to...
...occupy the wood?!
The Hessians fired their 6 pdr battery...
Good shooting at extreme range! A Virginia regiment was disordered.
I brought my light gun to support their attack.
On the left again, and mostly with Washington's urging, the North Carolina Continentals advanced to support 'Les Enfents Perdus'- my riflemen!
Having got the disorder off my Virginians, the Hessian gun hit them again!
Who built it ... Krupp?
Soon after, it disordered my Light gun as it deployed, the poor Virginians were slowly wheeling to attack (We need Steuben!)
The rough hill on my right, slowed even my light troops, and the good command rolls Lawrence got meant any hope I had to outflank the Hessians was gone.
My light gun finally got shooting!
In the centre, my New Jerseymen advanced through the woods, opposed only by some Feldjagers.
My N Carolinas advanced bravely on the British Grenadiers, harassed by Light infantry.
I even got some militia advancing on the left, things were looking up!
Suddenly some British light infantry charged my Riflemen, who retreated in haste rather than face those fierce bayonets! Even the 17th Light Dragoons joined in the attack!
My N Carolinas got a good volley off and damaged the 2nd Grenadiers.
The battle continued, great shooting from my guys was eventually answered by a crashing volley.
My Riflemen bravely charged the Light infantry rather than get ridden down, and came a cropper!
The survivors routed and the Brits chased them into the second group of Riflemen.
The 17th joined in!
They cut the luckless Riflemen to pieces, but were then blasted by the enraged Militia, the 17th Light Dragoons were scattered!
My Virginiamen pushed on through heavy artillery fire.
My supporting gun...
...Hit and destroyed the Hessian battery!
The British Grenadiers closed to short range but were cut down by accurate American musketry.
My New Jersey Continentals were getting through the woods, the Hessians were waiting!
The battle (despite Lawrence playing 'The British Grenadiers' from the film 'Barry Lyndon) with my North Carolinas ended.
The survivors retreated, no Rout for these chaps!
A Fresh pair of regiments were left isolated.
The brave Virginians were continuing their assault.
The British were getting their reserve lines to close off the North Carolina attack.
The Virginians fought hard...but would it be enough?
The British light infantry attacked my militia! and won!
The Virginians halted, and were hit by yet another controlled volley...
until they finally Routed!
The survivors broke through the second line disrupting them.

At this point, with a brigade of British coming over the hill on my right, Washington called off the attack and withdrew.

The army had fought hard, and had had some successes, but the British were in the ascendancy.

The difficult terrain which made the British maneuverability outperform the Continentals, as well as some bad opening command rolls, made it very hard for the Americans to attack. I think I sympathise with the Americans at Monmouth Courthouse a lot more now!, and I cannot help but think the Virginian attack resembled Picketts charge!

Fun game though!


No comments:

Post a Comment