Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 5 October 2024

Doing a Benedict?

 Today, we had another game of the American Revolution using my rules.

At least my camera behaved this time, so on with the report!!!

For a change, we randomised which force we used, Lawrence kept his Hessians, but I got the British and Phil had the Americans!. I only got a slight initiative in the deployment, so we had to both deploy in the centre section of the table. The Brits got first move, and Phil's Rebels the choice of table side.

I took the left, my light troops on the wing and two lines of infantry. I decided to try the Grenadiers as a reserve, would this work?
Lawrence formed his Hessians on my right, flanked by his Jägers.
Opposite me, The Marylanders and some light troops.
In the centre, Phil placed the Virginians.
On the left, New Jersey, and some separate Continental regiments, together with the Militia, and the rest of his light infantry. 
Lawrence got the ball rolling, moving his units forward to engage.
My centre advanced, but my left was tardy.
The Continental artillery was soon in range...
...but only disordered one of my guns.
Unfortunately Phil got his light infantry into the farm before my light infantry got there.
Phil had stepped onto the hill in the centre and my men fired a huge volley...which missed completely!
The Hessian Jägers advanced on the American artillery.
The Americans shot cannister into them!
The Hessians had had enough and Routed!
On the other wing, my British Lights were charged by the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons, amazingly I held and shot some of them down!
The poor Continentals retreated in disorder!
In the centre, Phil advanced to short range and absolutely smashed my poor infantry!
I needed a 6 to survive...and got it, we held!!!
My guns had deployed, and got a lucky hit on the Marylanders.
The Virginians on the hill now paid for their advance and got shot up themselves.
My following volley was also good, but the Americans held (they were uphill, with a Brave Competent brigadier, and diced well!!!)
My Highlanders and Loyalists now attacked the Marylanders.
But the greater numbers of the Americans soon began to tell.
Lawrence's Hessians were now in contact on our right.
Now a disaster happened for us, the few Pennsylvanians of the front line got a good hit on my battered battalions!
The New Jerseys also threw a lot of 6's!!!
Two of my regiments broke, the rest retreated.
Lawrence did better, but two of his regiments broke too.
My Highlanders were still hanging on, supported by my artillery.
The 2nd Continental Light Dragoons charged my 17 Light Dragoons, but my men wiped them out!
My Cavalry followed up and swept a battalion of American Light infantry away.
My Highlanders won against the Marylanders, who retreated in disorder.
The last two of Lawrence's Hessians were suffering as the Americans advanced.
My Light Dragoons were still hacking down the hapless American Lights.
Lawrences brave Germans were still standing despite heavy losses.
Lawrence moved some reserves up in support.
Even they couldn't hand on in such a storm, My Infantry front line, too, fell back disordered.
Two more British regiments attacked the hill.
The American Artillery was being a nuisance - my infantry was having enough trouble sorting itself out as it was.
On our right, Lawrence attacked and beat some American Light Infantry...
...Who routed!
The wild Hessians followed up into the second unit...routing them too!
His infantry was still losing, however.
In the end, these too fell back, shattered.
A fresh line of Continentals drove my Highlanders back.


I took some pictures from the American side at this point...
...it was quite clear...
...The Americans had lots more-and in better shape, than our forces.

So, another American victory! we talked about the game after and several factors had been decisive:

The British/ Hessians had all Average generals, the Americans had a Competent Commander in Chief and 2 other Competent ones! - He took a Brave Incompetent for his light troops though! (Who could tell!)
The terrain heavily favoured the Americans, the hill in the centre and the farm on their right.
The dice were weird today, and again Phil got the best of them, especially when it mattered! (I got some good dice too, though)

Fun game though, even if we did get our army trashed!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment