Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 12 December 2015

Samurai v the single minded league

Today, we dug out the old Samurai figures to do a skirmish!

As we were only 3, we did a solo game against the Ikko-ikki - we had a small retinue each, they had a large force, would it be too much for us to handle?


Our deployment facing the expected attack! Lawrence deployed on the left in a long line.

The villagers returning from the fields
 The village Samurai (solo run!)- and his Ashigaru.
Phil deployed on the main road. 
I deployed on the right, in ambush position. 
My missile troops, a mix of archers and Tippo (arquebus) armed men. 
Facing me,  a group of peasants, supporting some Ikko-Ikki spearmen and Tippo men.
 Facing Phil in the centre....Nothing!
 Facing Lawrence on the left, Sohei warrior monks supported by peasant fanatics and archers.
 Almost on Lawrence's flank, more Sohei and peasants.
 Phil's Tippo men opened fire at long range...
 ...and lightly wounded a peasant.
On my wing, the peasants came through the woods, and discovered my ambush! 
 Lawrence seemed to be facing the majority of the Ikko-Ikki attack.
 Fortunately for him, the enemy on his flank decided to wait for their Lord to join them before attacking!
 Lawrences' missile troops fired...
...and missed! 
 I decided to attack the peasants in the wood with my Samurai and Naginata men!
My men began to rapidly hew at the hapless peasants. 
 They were hopelessly outclassed.
 The other peasant unit decided it was safer to carry on with their attack on the village rather than help their friends!
They now came in sight of my men. 
 ...Who opened fire...Ineffectively!
 My Ashigaru spears decided to attack to support Phil.
 My Samurai were nearly through the peasants, who amazingly failed to break!
Back on Lawrence's side, the whole force began to advance on him.
Some diverted to attack Phil in the centre. 
 Lawrence had withdrawn his line, and the Ikko-Ikki turned on the village. 
 A group of Sohei decided to attack Lawrence, nonetheless.
They charged in and began a fierce battle with Lawrence's Ashigaru men.
 On my flank, the League Tippo men fired a volley at my spearmen.
 Luckily, only 4 of my men got grazing hits!
 I had detached my Naginata men to help my spears while my Samurai finished off the last peasant, who had managed to lightly wound one of them! 
 My Ashigaru attacked the enemy Tippo men.
Phil's Ashigaru attacked the peasants. 
Phil and Lawrence's missile men fell back... 
 ...as they were attacked.  
My Ashigaru advanced and shot.... 
 ...they wounded another Leager.
 Phil's spearmen and Naginata men were hacking down the peasants easily.
 Some of the enemy archers advanced and shot at Phil's rear. 
 Their shooting was rather effective!
 Phil was still fighting the mass of peasants... 
Lawrence was now engaged along his whole line.
 His Naginata men were losing against the Sohei. 
Finally, the town Samurai decided to move forward to help. 
 In the centre, a Sohei fell...
...shot by Lawrence's Tippo men. 
 Lawrence's Ashigaru spears were getting surrounded as more Leagers attacked.
My spears were fighting as they had been attacked by the enemy's spearmen 
Phil's men finally broke the peasants!
 Lawrence was still hanging on.
..despite the ferocity of the fight.
 My spearmen were losing slightly against the heavier armed enemy, my Naginata men were cutting up the enemy Tippo men.
 Sadly, now... 
 ...Lawrence's force was running out of men.
 The massed Tippo men in the centre, now shot...
...and stopped the Sohei who were attacking Phil. 
 As the Sohei were losing on My and Phil's sectors, and Lawrence's men were just holding on, the Ikko-Ikki decided to call off the attack, having lost nearly 1/3 of their force!
That was a close game! - Poor Lawrence did very well surviving at all!
Amazingly, none of our Samurai were killed, perhaps a first!

No comments:

Post a Comment