Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday, 29 August 2026

Valens' revenge?

 Today we were treated to another couple of Tony's armies, the Romans and Goths at the period of Adrianople 378AD.

Once again, I diced to be Roman - with Phil - while Tony got Lawrence as the Goths.

In the historical battle, the Romans were attacking Adrianople which was held by the Goths, when the Gothic cavalry returned from foraging behind the Roman right, and charged. The Goths from the defences joined in to complete the rout.

The battle today was in the standard 'Battle' scenario from the rulebook. As Phil rolled us as defender, we got choice of table side...

The table from the Roman side.

Goths to the right.
I was Emperor Valens, I had 4 Legiones some javelinmen, a unit of Auxilia Sagitarii, Equites Sagitarii, a unit of Equites and the unit of Cataphractarii.
My Legiones were in the centre.
On my left, Phil, had 4 units of Auxilia Palatini, another unit of Auxilia Sagitarii, 3 units of Equites and 2 of Equites Illyricani.
His flank was guarded by 2 units of light bowmen.
The Roman line looked very neat...for the last time!!!
(blurred-sorry:) opposite Phil Tony had some bow and javelin skirmishers, more Huns, and some Gothic warriors.
In the centre more cavalry behind the Gothic warriors.
Opposite me, the Goths (Lawrence, aka Fritigern) had some Gothic heavy cavalry, a unit of Huns (sorry, blurry again)
At game start, Fritigern sent his light infantry into the wood on his left.
His army advanced slowly, though a unit of Hun light cavalry scouted ahead.
Tony sent his light infantry forwards too.
Phil advanced slowly too, putting his light troops forward.
I settled for sending my Equites Cataphractarii forward to give something big and tough for the enemy archers to shoot at!
Table at this point.
Phil and Tony were skirmishing, Phil had a light horse unit damaged.
In the Gothic centre they advanced with archers forward. The cavalry was given maneuvering room.
On my Roman right, the Huns were skirmishing aggressively.
Seeing my wing was not going forward, the Goth light infantry emerged from their wood.
I had extended to the wing, I advanced my Auxilia Sagitarii to counter the Goth lights.
The Gothic cavalry was swinging round to attack my wing.
The Roman left was still holding back, skirmishing with the Goths.
I had advanced my Legiones to try and trap the Huns against the Gothic infantry.
The Roman left was trying to win the Light infantry battle to outflank the Gothic right.
I charged the Gothic infantry as they closed with my Equites Cataphractarii.
However, more Gothic infantry joined the battle and my Cataphracts were beaten back.
In the centre my Legions were charged by Gothic cavalry and infantry!
On our left Phil was still skirmishing.
Amazing dice by Lawrence broke a Legion and almost broke another with his infantry!
The Legion didn't last long, fortunately I had another behind.
In the Cataphract battle, I had charged another Legio in to detach the infantry from the Cataphracts, and broke the Goths.
The Gothic cavalry which had broken my Legio was destroyed by Phil's Bowmen.
My damaged Cataphracts broke the Gothic cavalry without taking any more damage!
I 'suicide' charged my 1 stamina left Legio into the Gothic archers in desperation.
My left hand Legio charged another Goth archer unit.
Phil now released his troops, charging his Equites into a Gothic infantry unit, and his Equites Illyricani and a unit of Auxilia Palatini into a third archer unit.
My 'Suicide' charge worked, both units broke!!!
My reserve Legio charged and broke the damaged Goths in the centre.
Phil easily destroyed the Gothic archers.
At this point, the Goths declared they were at 0 Reputation!!!
Phil's charges with Heroes near the end had saved us.
Our centre had been gutted, but my right wing had survived!
A very hard and close fought game! I thought my wing would have collapsed, but there you go! Emperor Valens lives to fight another day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment