Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 5 March 2022

New Old enemy

 Today we had another Seven Years War battle, but this time not against the Russians (I wonder why?!) - but against the French!

(I am still finding out how to best use my new camera so sorry for the quality of some of the pics!)

I was outscouted, so my Prussians had to deploy in the centre section of the table...

Fortunately, as I had Light Cavalry, this reduced the deployment options for the French (Commanded by Lawrence and Phil)...who also got to deploy only in the centre section of the table.
I got the best bunch of brigadiers I have ever had! - no Incompetents, and a Brave Competent Cavalry commander.
Even Frederick got a Competent bonus!
The French got a Brave Competent Infantry Brigadier, but had an Incompetent Brigadier to use too!
The French got to move first, and advanced their line.
A couple of regiments got left behind due to command failures, and the Incompetent in charge of the reserve brigade.
I got my Kuirassiers to deploy out into the right flank sector.
I put my Grenadiers on a low hill.
I also got the Frei Korps to move and support their left.
I got the left wing Hussars and a regiment of Kuirassiers moving too.
Lawrence got his Cuirassiers du Roi and some Chevaux-legers in line to face them. 
The French infantry were now moving as a body.
Phil, on the French left, got the Imperial cavalry moving with ease.
It looked like a general advance to contact was planned.
I led a Kuirassier regiment after the Hussars across a rough hill on our extreme left.
I got my Heavy gun battery forward to harass the French infantry.
My Dragoons were now catching my right wing Kuirassiers, to act as their reserve.
My Fusiliers got disordered (not for the last time) by..  
...The French artillery, which together with the infantry line, had halted short of my line.
On my left, the Hussars advanced to harass the French horse. 
My Kuirassiers moved over the hill after the Frei Korps.
My Grenadiers on the hill stepped back behind the ridge...
...as they were getting bombarded!
On the right, my lead Kuirassier regiment stopped on the hill.
Seydlitz was sorting out the rest of the cavalry wing in support of them.
My Kuirassiers charged into the Bayreuth Kuirassiers...
...supported at a distance by another regiment.
On my left, the Hussars retreated at speed back to the rear.
This left room for my Kuirassiers to attack the French cavalry.
My men charged in, but failed to break through.
Some French Grenadiers were threatening my second regiment that moved to support them.
My Prussian Kuirassiers were crushed by the greater numbers of French horse.
The pursuing French barreled into my reserve Kuirassier regiment.
The French, blown by their first battle, were swept away!
Lawrence tried to get his reserve line of horse to charge and recover the situation, but both regiments refused to charge!
The remnants of my victorious Kuirassiers rallied.
On the other wing, the Bayreuth Kuirassiers were beating my Prussians!
Amazingly, neither side broke as the two regiments destroyed each other.
The Bayreuth regiment finally won though, my Prussians were destroyed.
My second line Kuirassiers now moved forward...
...and scattered the brave Bayreuthers.
My regiment was still fit to charge the next line of German horse.
On the hill, the French Grenadiers tried to storm through my Prussian infantry...
...The Prussian infantry fell back in disorder, slightly abashed.
My Grenadiers were made of sterner stuff...
...and shredded the French attacking them.
My Kuirassiers on the right barreled into the next line of German Kuirassiers...
...who broke, letting my Kuirassiers charge into the next line of Kuirassiers.
Von Seydlitz was horrified when his broken Kuirassiers fled pursued by the fresh Germans.
At this moment, my rallied infantry moved back onto the hill and broke the Grenadiers who had attacked them!
We ran out of time, Phil and I had destroyed each other.
On the French right, I had destroyed their horse and broken the Grenadiers, and my heavy battery was demolishing the other Grenadier battalions.
Neither side could claim a victory, so an honorable draw was declared.

I always enjoy these games so we will be back for a rematch next week, God willing!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I only hope next week I thrash the French like they so richly deserve!!!

      Delete