Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 14 September 2019

Return to the ACW

Its been...quite a while...since we did ACW skirmish at the club!

Rhys wanted to try it, so that was all the excuse we needed. Randomly, Lawrence got command of the Union, and I got command of the Confederates. Lawrence had Phil as second in command, and I got Rhys.
We set up a terrain, and as it was Rhys's first go, decided to do a half company sized action, with 2 forces probing to locate each other.

The terrain, the forces would start on either end of the long road.
Phil lead his men along the road.... 
...as did I. 
Rhys followed me. 
 Neither side could see each other, so we wandered on blindly!
 Phil's Feds hopped over the fence, while Lawrence continued up the road.
I lead the Rebel column off the road - unsure of whether to  line the fences, or the edge of the woods.
 I directed Rhys to follow me.
My officer kept the distant blue-bellies in sight as he directed his men towards the tree line. 
 Rhys formed up on my right on the wood edge, and we awaited the arrival of 'Those People' 
I hated giving the Feds the initiative, but it seemed the prudent thing to do. 
Phil decided to take the hill opposite our wood, and Lawrence took the rest of the Feds around our flank. 
 Phil waited patiently behind the hill, while the rest of the Union force got into position.
 The Union main force continued alongside the road, what were they up to?
Eventually, their aim became clear, as they continued past my wooded position. 
I directed Rhys to move towards Lawrence before they got into an enfilading position on him. 
Alerted by a drum beat, Phil put half his line on the hill top and fired. 
Amazingly, their fire went high, and only one of Rhys' men was hit and killed. 
 Lawrence placed a dozen men on the fence opposite Rhys...
...their fire was more effective!
Undiminished, the Virginians formed up on the fence line and returned fire. 
A very good volley tore into the Fed line. 
My men also fired on Phil's men on the hill... 
...despite the longer range I hit a couple. 
 Rhys had more men...
...Lawrence's force took heavy casualties, but the Pennsylvania boys held their position.
Phil changed target and fired at my men... 
...however, apart from hitting several trees, his fire failed to hit any of my men! 
Once reloaded, my men fired another volley. 
...more Feds were hit. 
Rhys continued to hold... 
...despite the arrival of Lawrence's second group on his flank. 
Rhys continued engaging...
 ...the ragged group to his front, who refused to flee! 
 However, another volley from my men sent most of Phil's men skedaddling...despite their officer's protestations! 
The Federal forces decided to call it a day and withdraw, as they were now outnumbered nearly 2:1. The luck was definitely with the Rebels today!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting!
    Your own rules I assume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Rhys took a hard copy of the rules home to use for his own games!

      Delete