Welcome!

Welcome to the Blog of a Skirmish wargamer! I hope you enjoy reading it!



All my rule sets are freely downloadable from our club website's Downloads page





If you need to contact me my E-Mail address is richardbradley5@gmail.com







Saturday 22 December 2018

Seven Years war - a different view!

Today we returned to the Seven Years War for our last game before the Christmas break, Lawrence had his Reichs armee and French, while I had Phil as a sub commander, using my Prussians.

I had somehow forgotten my camera, so Phil kindly used his phone-cam to take these pictures (thanks Phil!)


The Prussians (left) got to deploy in the flank sectors...
Our brigadiers were, however, a poor lot, none were competent, and 4 were actually incompetents!
 Lawrence's were on the whole, average...at least that meant they knew what they were doing most of the time!!!
Phil had a cavalry brigade on the left siupported by 2 infantry brigades, deployed in depth.
 I had 2 infantry brigades, my right hand one being composed of Grenadiers, and a cavalry brigade on the right.
Lawrence had a strong Austrian cavalry brigade on his left... 
   ... a small infantry centre (?) and cavalry on his right flank.
The Prussian plan was to attack with our left while the right held up the Austrians! 
 Phil initially had trouble getting his incompetent cavalry commander to advance! - I sent Frederick to give them a hand!
 Eventually Phil's wing were advancing, my men were echeloned back.
 Frederick was still trying to get Phil's dragoons moving! 
 My right wing cavalry (KR10 - Gendarmes) declared a charge on regiment Brettlach... 
 ...who failed to countercharge!.
The Austrians were even disordered by my artillery as my Kuirassiers charged! 
 Amazingly, the Austrians held! KR10 fell back to reorganise! 
 Brettlach fell back, too,  through their supporting lines, disordering them en route.
 Lawrence got them moving out to the flank, but the rest of the command were still trying to reorder their ranks.
 Lawrence had got his horse deployed in a mass on his right...
 ...while a regiment of dragoons went to contest the marshy ground with Phil's Frei Korps.
 Phil finally got his cavalry wing well spaced to attack.
 On my wing, Lawrence disclosed a large French cavalry brigade in the woods.
My horse were now outnumbered 2:1! 
As the French horse tried to filter out of the woods, Austrian regiment Trautmannsdorf advanced with some Grenzers to face my KR11. 
 Lawrence got his right wing to attack Phil's advancing Kuirassiers.
Both sides met in a flurry of sabres!
Then the combat devolved into a confused melee!
 In the marsh, his dragoons were driving off the Frei Korps.
 Phil's supporting heavy gun battery fired canister at the enemy horse...
 ...who panicked, and broke disgracefully!
 KR11 charged into Regiment Trautmannsdorf - with one squadron scattering the vulnerable Croats. 
Phil's Kuirassiers broke their opponents, after a bruising melee. 
...and KR11 broke Trautmannsdorf! 
With a fair number of their horse in full flight, some of the Reichsinfantrie began to retreat!
Some previously unseen French infantry in the wood also went into retreat! 
With his army degenerating into disarray, Lawrence decided to break of the action! Although his dicing was better than last game, it still failed him at a couple of critical junctures!

Better luck next time pal!

No comments:

Post a Comment